Sunday, April 19, 2009

A New Day has come

My stomach is churning, some from nerves some from hunger. I just can't believe the time has come. In 12 hours I will be laying on the surgeons table and my new life will begin. I have never been a real "time" person and this is the perfect example. I have been complaining for months now about how long this process is taking and now all of a sudden the time is here.
I've lost 20lbs on the pre-surgery diet in the last 2 weeks and I'm ready for the rest to leave me.
My partner and I went to our first "support group" this past week. It is a pre-surgery requirement and I put it off to the last minute because I was kind of dreading it and it turned out to be an amazing thing. The doctor should film a group session and use it as part of this recruiting. The group opened with all the post-ops going around the room saying their name, how long ago they had their surgery and the total amount of weight they have lost. One lady had lost 500lbs and several people had lost 300lbs each. The nurse told us at one point the group had added up how much they had lost total and it was over 1/2 ton. The pre-ops were given 1hour to ask questions of the post-ops and they were very eager to share with us. I just can't describe how inspiring the whole thing was.
My last day at work was Saturday and I don't go back for 3 1/2 weeks. I'm actually more nervous about that than I am about why I'll be off work.

1 comment:

  1. By now, you should be out of surgery. I'm hoping all went well. Congrats on the loss of 20 pounds prior to surgery. That sure is hard! Can't wait to see some real, incredibly shrinking photos of you. good luck!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete