Saturday, January 31, 2009

juicing

Well it's only 2 more days until my consultation with my bariatric surgeon and I'm SO ready. I've been doing some reading on how to get back to work ASAP after the surgery and came across a blog about Juicing and the amazing vitamin punch it packs. So I jumped on Jack LaLanne's web site and ordered a Power Juicer Pro. The next day I got a mailer from Macy's with a listing of Juicers so I cancelled my LaLanne and ran to Macy's (why wait for Jack to ship to me when I live 20 minutes from Macy's)? And the sales lady said I had 6 months to bring it back if I changed my mind.

I bought the Breville Juice Fountain Plus (same price as the LaLanne) and hit the closest produce isle on my way home and dropped another $40.

My first juice cocktail was:


  • 2 beets

  • 1 orange

  • 4 carrots

  • 1 kiwi

It was actually pretty good, next time I may put alittle salt in it though. Every thing went fine, I got down about 12 ozs pretty fast. BUT, about 2 hours later I'm in the car on the way to meet a friend and out of nowhere my stomach is in knots and I'm in a panic for a bathroom. I pull into a Taco Bell and as I step out of the car to make a run for it I SHART (half shit and half fart). Oh my god, the cramps are terrible. I make it to the bathroom and thank heaven's it's a private john and I can lock the door.


15 minutes later, I'm cleaned up and sacrificed a brand new pair of boxers. The cramps are over just like that. Now I'm heading back home to recover and by the time I get home I'm ready for the bathroom again.


Next day, all is well (although did I mention that my urine is DARK orange/yellow? GROSS!


I go back to the blog that turned me onto juicing to begin with and see a note about Beets. Go easy it says, they are very strong. RIGHT


I decide to try it again last night for dinner and this time I try:



  • 1 beet

  • 3 oranges

  • 1 cucumber

  • 6 carrots

  • 1 head of celery

  • 1 kiwi

  • 1 tsp salt

It taste great! I even get my son to drink a glass. The cookbook that came with the juicer also had recipes for the pulp that is the juicer by-product. So I used it to make a meat-loaf for dinner. It was 1 part pulp with 2 parts ground beef, egg, milk and spices. It was fantastic and will be the only way I make meat-loaf from now on (alright, I don't make that dish very often but when I do this is the way I'll do it). And best of all zero bathroom issues.


So I think I'll be juicing for a while. I am really excited about seeing if I can feel a difference anytime soon.


1 comment:

  1. This is hysterical! How appropriate that Taco Bell came to your rescue! When we make juice with beats in it, I can feel a tingle when it hits my system. For an added zing, drop in a little bit of fresh ginger. I might have to dust off my juicer! Hope all went well with your meeting with the surgeon!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete